First and foremost, let’s begin by defining the term “good health”.
According to World Health Organization (WHO), “Good health is defined as the complete physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social well being”. Basically, good health can be defined in 5 dimensions; physical health, mental health, emotional health, spiritual health and social health.
Physical Health definition
Physical health is crucial for the overall well being of an individual. In fact, it is the most visible dimension of good health; -the most serious signs of bad health are seen physically. Therefore, it is critical to address this dimension. The following article will discuss and analyze the true definition of physical.
What is Physical Health?
Traditionally, the definition of physical health mostly focused on the ability of not getting ill. But, with modern medication and longer life spans, the whole definition of physical health has changed. Physical health is now defined as the state of the body and the ability to perform its functions. It refers to all the aspects in living that are essential to keep the body in good working conditions.
Below are the key areas captured when defining physical health?
1. Physical activity – This focuses on the strength, flexibility, and endurance of the body. Healthy individuals should have an active lifestyle. This should include a mix of leisure physical activities and structured exercises.
2. Nutrition and diet – The body needs energy to function efficiently. Therefore, this area captures the importance of nutrient intake, fluid intake and healthy digestion.
3. Drugs and alcohol – Includes abstinence from consuming these substances. These substances alter the mood and limit other bodily processes that affect the overall physical health.
4. Medical self care – focuses on addressing medical conditions such as ailments or injuries. For overall good physical health, one should sought medical healthcare when suffering from medical conditions.
5. Rest and sleep – The body requires time to rest. Most doctors recommend 8 hours of sleep for children and about 6 hours of sleep for adults.
Physical health assessment – How can you assess you physical health?
The best way to asses your physical health is by visiting a physician or a personal trainer. But, you can still asses your physical health through the following ways:
*General assessments – includes BMI (Body mass index), weight and reflex tests.
*Disease risk factor assessments – includes blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol tests.
*Fitness assessments – includes muscle strength, flexibility, endurance and body composition (body fat percentage) tests.
Well, that is all there is to know about – physical health definition. I hope the information has been of great use.…